With Lync, users can keep track of their contacts’ availability; send an IM; start or join an audio, video, or web conference; or make a phone call—all through a consistent, familiar interface. Lync is built to fully integrate with Microsoft Office. The Microsoft Lync 2010 desktop client is available for Windows and for Mac and mobile versions are available for Windows Phone, iPhone/iPad, and Android devices.
- How do I obtain the Microsoft Lync client?
Microsoft Lync for Windows is available to all faculty and staff of Texas AgriLIFE Extension, AgriLIFE Research and College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Contact FirstCall or your local IT resource for installation assistance.
- What username and password do I use to login?
You login using your Exchange account and password (e.g. email@example.com and Outlook password).
- Who can I contact if I have more questions?
Please contact FirstCall at (866) 996- 2056 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Microsoft Lync on Windows
- How do I disable Microsoft Lync from starting automatically when I login to Windows?
- Select Personal
- De-Select Automatically start Lync when I log on to Windows
- Where can I get more information about Lync for Windows?
Click on a link below for specific information (videos):
Lync for the Mac
- Where can I get more information about Lync for Mac?
Check out Microsoft's site for helpful information about Lync for Mac
- Is Microsoft Lync accessible off-campus?
Yes. Microsoft Lync is accessible off-campus.
- Are there any limitations to the number of contacts or groups I may add to my contact list?
Groups are limited to 30 and contacts are limited to 250.
- What are activity feeds?
Lync’s Activity Feed displays your contacts, their current status (“Heading to a meeting”) messages and their availability.
- How long will my instant message conversations be saved to my email?
Instant messages are not saved by default. If you save an instant message conversation to Outlook, it will remain in the Conversation History folder for 90 days.
- Are there any 3rd party Instant Message clients that support Microsoft Lync?
Currently, there are no supported third party instant messaging clients that support Microsoft Lync. However, it is expected they will become available.
- Can I access Microsoft Lync from a mobile device?
As of January 2012, mobile clients have become available for Droid, Apple and Windows Mobile Devices. Check the App market for your devices and search for "Lync" to download and install.
- Can I sign on to Microsoft Lync from multiple clients simultaneously?
Yes, you can be signed onto multiple clients simultaneously.
- How to Create an online meeting request (Windows | Mac)
- How to Start an unscheduled online meeting or conference call (Windows | Mac)
- Can external users participate in online meetings?
Yes external users can participate, but they will not be able to utilize the audio function of Lync nor serve as a presenter. External users must call in using a conference call number.